Record Review // Maggot Heart "HUNGER"


https://maggotheart.bandcamp.com/album/hunger


There isn't really an easy way to describe the sound of Maggot Heart.  This music is intense.  It's loud and it has these pounding bass lines.  Because of the way certain songs are, and can be played live, this definitely falls into the metal genre because Maggot Heart can go on tour with metal bands and deliver a stellar show.  

But has someone who has seen both Maggot Heart and Upper Wilds live this year, I will say that Maggot Heart could just as easily fit in with that sort of rock / grunge / alternative / whatever crowd.   And I only bring up Upper Wilds because their album "Jupiter" and this album here are two of my favorites released in 2023.

This music is complex.  You're going to hear what influences you have within it, almost as if it becomes more a reflection of you than the song writer.   My favorite song on here is "Archer", which is now one of my all-time favorite songs and I just feel like I could write an entire review about it.    This isn't just the type of album I love this year though.  This is that type of album that is going to stay with me for a very long time.  












Comments