Music Review //
Royal Oak
"A Song For Ya"

 


Royal Oak has the instruments of a rock band but create pop music and I think that's so important.  There are a lot of artists out there that seemingly use studio instruments and not really guitars and such to make music, which is how they get that pop sound.  But then the bands that do use guitars to create pop usually don't sound like this, so Royal Oak has really found a refreshing sound here.

This song itself is a break up song.  There is a line in here about: "Now you're stuck with a memory" and I do enjoy that because I often wonder about such things.  Maybe three months after I break up with someone I'm not thinking about them as much, but how long does it take them?  And is there ever a time when they see something and it reminds them of me?  I know people have come in and out of my life that I haven't thought about in years and years.

The other part of this song we really need to address is how the chorus also has a line about how his friends never really liked her anyway.   I believe this was on an episode of "Seinfeld", but it becomes one of those things you learn in life where you might say you didn't like someone just because you think you're helping to ease the pain but then if the couple gets back together you kind of have your foot in your mouth.

I truly feel though like my favorite part about this song is that it has an upbeat feel to it.  It's not overly poppy, but given that it's a break up song it feels neither really sad nor angry to me.  I think this is a good place to be in after a break up- to feel like this song makes me feel.   It's not just that idea of feeling okay but it's also that feeling of moving on.  

Comments

Popular Posts