Music Review // Liam Benayon "Next Chapter"



Liam Benayon creates a type of pop music that is smart.   I think a lot of times when you hear pop music it gets dumbed down for the masses.   You want to have simple words and ideas so that you can appeal to the largest possible market.   But on "Next Chapter", Liam Benayon has that pop rock / synthpop style of artists such as Hellogoodbye and Owl City while maintaining an important message.

Right away, the song has the chorus of "I don't think we need a next chapter" and just goes to show that it is important to know when something is over and when it is time to move on.   This, in and of itself, is something to really think about because people often overstay their welcome in relationships, at work places, etc and perhaps this is that nudge you need to get in the direction of parting ways.

At the same time, Liam Benayon name drops "Lana" and mentions studying her lyrics and feeling smart in a sort of mocking way.   I don't listen to enough Lana Del Rey to tell you whether or not her lyrics are smart, but I'll just say that I know she covered Sublime and leave it at that.  (By the way I love the album that song is on)  But I think regardless of how you feel about LDR the idea of pointing out pseudo-intellectualism is important.

One of the biggest lines we need to talk about in here says: "Heartbreak is good for your art".   This has been the theory on many, going to back Van Gogh where he was so troubled he cut off his ear but made some great paintings.   It raises an interesting question about suffering for our art and whether or not you would rather have that piece of mind or be a great artist.   It's not really one for me to answer but I like that this creates a discussion.  

Comments