Music Review //
Emery Pulse
"Gift Box"

 


https://open.spotify.com/album/6CoRAsVR0VykhOeT5oSWKR


Perhaps what is more interesting to me than the musical side of Emery Pulse are the lyrics which make this song "Gift Box" feel like such a topic of discussion for me.  I'm not sure if anyone else out there feels this same way, but as an adult I absolutely cannot stand getting gifts.  I feel as if there is something which I want I can get it and, not to be rude, but I can probably find it for a better price than you as well.   Presents are only good for kids because they don't have jobs so they can't buy things themselves.

Maybe I'm just old and jaded or I just received too many bad presents over the years but I don't get it.   I also don't quite understand the concept of wrapping presents.  You spend money on the gift itself then spend more money on wrapping paper that fits the occasion, ribbons, bows, etc. and for what?  If you just hand a gift to a kid it's actually better than watching them struggle to open it because you have a strange need to keep the creators of Scotch tape in business.  All the wrapping seems unnecessary to me.

And so, how does this relate to this song by Emery Pulse?  Well, I feel like the song is more of a metaphor for someone giving you a piece of yourself than an actual gift that you can physically hold or get a gift receipt for.   If you're giving a gift and it's something that person really wants, it doesn't matter (it shouldn't matter) whether it's dressed up in fancy wrapping paper and all of that.   This is also true for people because you should look at what's on the inside, how you connect on that level, rather than the outside.

With the sound of mall pop that reminds me of Tiffany and Debbie Gibson, Emery Pulse certainly hits the right notes on fun in this song.   But when we live in a society that values appearance over substance I definitely think this could be the type of song to get stuck in your head forcing you to have a conversation about appearances wearing thin.   Sure, someone may look physically appealing to you, but that attraction won't last if you're not connecting in other ways.  It will last as long as that wrapping paper you are hopefully recycling.  

Comments

Popular Posts