Music Review //
Slide
"Floating (Slip n Slide Mix)"
(If Music Could Talk)


https://open.spotify.com/album/5sWrwSWx5wgHS3iXQ0ovq1?si=XUi1pzfTQt62XCzzgoqhRg&nd=1


The sound of Slide is one which mixes rock music with pop.   Being that this isn't a sound which we hear a lot of there are not a lot of influences to trace this back with.   There are artists such as, say, The New Radicals, who throughout the course of time have put a lighter pop sense on their brand of rock but this isn't the same as that.    Slide has truly created a song in a genre all its own.

One of the only sounds which I can think to compare this song with would come from the Twenty One Pilots song "Stressed Out".    It has that same kind of vibe to it, in the way that I can picture Slide riding around on tiny bicycles.  I really do believe though that the way in which this song feels upbeat just also makes it fun.  It is a song which I feel even the youngest of children would enjoy, which is not something easy to pull off without having an overly annoying sound and I can listen to "Floating" any number of times a day without getting annoyed.

There exists a strange time in the era of modern rock radio where instead of playing just new music (as it was in the 1990's) radio stations relied more heavily on artists from the past (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Soundgarden, etc) and didn't focus as much on the artists of the present- of the future.  If I listen to my local modern rock station for an hour I'll hear songs by artists like Alice In Chains still, but I'll also hear a handful of new songs, released within the past few years.  In this way, I feel like "Floating" could be one of those songs I hear at random on the radio amidst a sea of grunge.

Aside from "Stressed Out" there aren't really a lot of songs which I hear on the radio and have that same way of breaking through while the listener just seems to be waiting for their next taste of nostalgia.   Most recently, I think the song "Bang" by AJR has hit that point.  If placed within the right context on the radio, I truly do believe that "Floating" could have that break out moment as well, as it is distinguishable enough from everything else but also close enough on the pop side that listeners will just love the hell out of it.  


Comments

Popular Posts