Music Review //
Kestine
"Reflection"
(Outsiders Ent)


https://open.spotify.com/album/1ZgNjQNoUfbHxhCpQMhSA6?si=K4NhveTbQ1-kzsdPTXLpTw


"Reflection" begins with an Intro which seems to set the tone for this EP.  Released fresh in 2021, these thoughts by Kestine seem to represent not just what he is thinking but perhaps what many else are thinking and have been thinking as well.  A smooth saxophone starts off the song "U.N.I.T.Y." which makes me feel like it can be R&B but then Kestine begins rapping like Nas.  There is a way about this music which I just find perfect because it's not truly hip hop nor R&B but some kind of wonderful combination.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the song title "U.N.I.T.Y." was Queen Latifah and Kestine made sure to mention that within the song as well.  In a lot of ways, this song is about what the title suggests- coming together as one- and makes note of events from 2020 such as the Black Lives Matter movement just taking off.   I find it sad that we had this lockdown and people really just had the time to sit inside and reflect on their lives and the choices they've made and some still choose to be racist.   COVID-19 doesn't care about your skin color.

"Preacher's Son" hits more intense within the music, but then that sax returns with some sirens for "Melanie" which hits more intense with the lyrics.  The song "Melanie" is about a woman who is raped and ultimately ends up taking her own life because of it.  Again, if we've learned nothing from lockdown in 2020 it should be not to be racist (love everyone) and don't be a sexual predator.    As "Dear Diary" comes to end out the EP there is a more triumphant feel to it, one which just makes you want to get up and applaud when it reaches the end.

Growing up, I feel like I listened to a lot of music which I can hear come out in this EP by Kestine.  I was in Columbia House and BMG with cassettes and I had the rap featured selection, but sometimes they didn't always have rap.  So as much as I heard 2Pac and Dr. Dre, I heard Jodeci and Bell Biv DeVoe.  And, for me, what I liked best too was how you could hear artists sing on their songs or rap- when it was both.   Listening to soundtracks (on cassette) like "Trespass" and I feel like Kestine would just fit in perfectly.  


Comments

Popular Posts