Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Music Review //
Wendy Godfrey
"Venus"


https://soundcloud.com/wendy-godfrey-475321859/wendy-goffrey-venus-mix-2/s-cvblNEsx2zs  //


Whenever I hear a song like "Venus" I immediately am taken to a place where I listen to Corinne Bailey Rae.   That will always be one of those places I just go and will always be there with certain genres of music.   Wendy Godfrey has that style of pop / R&B / some kind of soul with just that dreamy groove.  It's not a genre I can put my finger on, but for similarity (somewhat in style, but more in the delivery) I look to Corinne Bailey Rae.

This just feels like the type of song you would find on a playlist or on the radio either in the 1990's or present.   It would fit so well in between artists like Boyz II Men and PM Dawn- in a '90's sense- but then it could also go well with Bruno Mars or any of the radio hip hop out there.  Being that versatile also makes me think of Lana Del Rey, who is on a lot of the pop stations but also crossed over into the rock ones with her Sublime cover.

The tone of "Venus" is one of being relaxed, but not too relaxed.  I think this song reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears because it's not too much or not enough of one thing but just right.   It has that feeling of something you could play at a party and people would be into it, but it isn't really fast paced or a dance number.    It's chill, but it won't put you to sleep.   There is also a lot of melody to be found within this song.

Overall, "Venus" is, if nothing else, a love song.   Lyrics like: "Right by my side / Won't you be there" demonstrate how someone has found someone else and just wants to be with them forever.   But also the hook of: "On our own planet like Venus" just goes to show how when you find that special someone it can feel like you're the only two people on the planet.   It's a nice feeling if you can find it, but if you can't you can always think of something (such as music) which helps you escape from reality.  


No comments:

Post a Comment