Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Music Review //
Chris Mardini
"I'll Try"

 


Lately I've been having a lot of conversations (and thinking it to myself) that it is better to try and fail than not try at all.   The idea of that has really helped me to push forward and do many things I might not have otherwise done and most of them were a success.   This song by Chris Mardini though- this idea of "I'll Try" is a little bit different.   It's a little bit more specific to a situation which he seems to find himself in.

Throughout the acoustic sounds of pop and rock, Chris Mardini tells a story about being in a relationship with someone who won't say it to other people.  This leads to lyrics about how Chris Mardini cannot get high on life (but will try) and cannot promise not to get wrecked (but will try).  For being a bit more on the side of pop than anything else I think it has somewhat dark lyrics about drinking and doing drugs because of unhappiness in a relationship.

I feel like it's safe to say that everyone at some point in their life has been in a bad relationship but to have the specific instance of being with someone who wants to keep the relationship a secret seems less common.   But I've been there.  And it's not fun.  And if you're in a relationship where the other person isn't willing to admit it to the public then something is wrong and that relationship just, in the end, isn't going to end up working.  I speak from experience.

While this song can have elements ranging from Teddy Geiger to Radiohead ("Paranoid Android" comes to mind) there is also a video which has the lyrics with an animated person walking while playing guitar, though by the end they wind up in shambles.   I'm not always a fan of "lyric videos" but this one is rather well done (and isn't just the lyrics, so I'm not sure I'd consider it a true lyric video) and I feel like the words in this song are important so you should be following along as you listen.  

1 comment: