Music Review // Mo Kenney "Evening Dream"

 


What Mo Kenney has done on "Evening Dream" is create one of the most catchy songs about breaking up that has quite possibly ever been created.   There is an acoustic feeling to this song but it does come out as full band still and it just has this distinct rock sound that I can't quite place, but if I heard this on the modern rock radio station I would definitely want to look into who it was and find out more about them.

The chorus comes in strong with the lines "Goodbye, baby / We weren't ready / So long / Be well / I can take care of myself".   This might be the best way I have ever heard a break up summarized in a song and it can serve as a great mantra if you are with someone you no longer wish to be with.  It's neither rude nor offensive but rather just a direct and nice way to address something which feels like a natural part of life.

But those lyrical qualities don't just happen in the chorus.   There is a great verse which says "While the sun was setting / You're by the water undressing / What will the neighbors say? / I'm watching you from the middle of the lake".   If these lines don't just paint a picture in your head I don't know what will, as they just feel so specific and yet also just so much like art.  Someone could (and should) turn this into an actual painting.

While this music video is said to be a "lyric video" it does also serve as a sort of live performance.  Though at times the main singer can line up with the lyrics but other times you'll hear that singing and they won't be near the microphone.  I also enjoy that as this song breaks for a guitar solo the lyrics say *SOLO", which I found to be a nice touch.  But overall this is just such a perfect break up song that even if you don't want to break up with someone currently, you can play it loudly for one of your exes.  


Comments

Popular Posts