Music Review // Katie Cruel "First Frost"


One thing you learn living in a place which has seasons is that when it gets cold a lot of what happens with live music shuts down.  Sometimes I think this can be due to the holidays, but it sometimes takes up until April or May for artists to want to start touring here again.  "First Frost" by Katie Cruel is a rock n roll anthem that highlights what it's like to live in a place where it gets cold.

This song opens with the lyrics: "The summer was hot / I learned a lot / I was fucked up and it was hot"  For some reason drinking alcohol can be related with keeping cool, but sometimes when you're in the heat it also just feels like your brain is melting.  As we are in Autumn right now, this song makes me think back to what it was like this past Summer, some of the days making me wish I lived somewhere that didn't feel so hot.

As the song comes to an end the lyrics which go with the title of "First Frost" say: "I'll put my head down, write some songs".   I feel like this fairly accurately describes not only musicians but the mindset of people in general living somewhere that has Winter.   My birthday, for example, is in Winter and we'd never try planning parties around it because of snow.  The idea of being an artist and staying inside writing new songs or just being someone who doesn't go outside a lot because it's too cold really hits home with me.

What I like most about this rock n roll song, which can tend to lean on the classic rock side, is that it perfectly captures what happens around here in Winter, as Winter is the staying inside season and once you hit that "First Frost" you begin to see the sort of hibernation begin.  I've always kind of felt like this was a thing and it wasn't just specific to one region but now that Katie Cruel has immortalized it in song it shall forever be referenced in rock n roll as well.  


Comments

Popular Posts