Music Review // Sam Weber "Oregon"


When "Oregon" first starts, the first thing I hear is the pulsating percussion.  This song just has this way about it where it flows.  The rhythm is calming and it's just so steady, but I imagine a lot of Oregon might be full of nature and so the sound might reflect that.   This is just that type of song which is mellow and can fit nicely in any playlist.

Sam Weber is from Canada so having a song about "Oregon" and it not being his home state (as his web site is samwebermusic.ca not samwebermusic.oregon) is interesting.   As someone who lives in the United States and would struggle to point to all fifty of them on a map, I don't really think about Oregon a lot but it doesn't really feel like the type of state one would dislike.  

This whole concept has made me wonder about the United States in song.  I know that the state I live in, Connecticut, has had songs made about it by artists from here but I don't think anyone has ever made a song about CT who wasn't from here.   Has anyone ever made an album of fifty songs, one about each state?  Is that not what Sufjan Stevens was doing in the early 2000's?  Still, I think this song has a more pleasant feel than anything else.

There exists this idea that when you go some place on vacation and enjoy it, you end up wanting to move there.  I think that writing a song in appreciation is a better idea.   As Sam Weber says in the lyrics: "Found a part of me in you" so with that Richard Edwards cool style this is a very fitting tribute to Oregon.  


Comments

Popular Posts