Music Review // Kylie Fox "Brandi Baby"


When this song first starts it has this sound of percussion which makes it mellow but also takes me right back to a specific time when artists like Cyndi Lauper were in their prime and all over the airwaves.   The rush of nostalgia immediately draws me in and then the lyrics and music video make me not only want to stay but also I want to hear more; I am fully invested.

This music video takes place largely at a wrestling show, which is such a fun setting for a music video and with the number of wrestling promotions out there now I'm not sure why this type of thing doesn't happen more often.   This also furthers my Cyndi Lauper comparison, though I like Kylie Fox has a different type of voice but can still really belt it out when needed.

I really also like the idea of this song because it has lyrics like "When I was fifteen / Went to the dance alone" but then turns into "You show me love / You show me truth / You show me what my heart can do".   This just feels like the story of someone who was in high school and was reserved but now in their adult life is more of their true self.  

I'm not saying this is true in every case, but if you're in high school you never really know what you're going to be ten years later or more.   It should at least be seen (and heard) as a sign of hope.   If you're feeling down, this song can help you realize that things can get better.  And it just feels like something from a "Say Anything" or "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack.  


Comments

Popular Posts