Music Review // Emerson Woolf & the Wishbones "Everything Must Go"


While it can feel as if certain people can break the algorithm and become famous from social media, I am happy that Instagram suggested a Reel of Emerson Woolf & the Wishbones to me because "Everything Must Go" has become one of my favorite albums to listen to this year.   It definitely holds a place in the Top 10 releases of this year because of both the sound and the passion driving it.

For those who don't know, as I am in the year 2024 now with all of you, I am in the year of the vocalist.   Abigail Lapell, Lady Queen Paradise and Camp Saint Helene- to name a few- come to mind where it's that music that you love, but also if they put out songs of only vocals I'd still be interested in them.   Emerson Woolf & the Wishbones also fall into this category for me now, as I would listen to songs here that are vocals only but the music makes these songs burn.

With melody and banjos, you can hear whistling on "Somebody still loves you, Barbara".  This is that sound which goes somewhere between folk, rock, Americana and just making its own genre.    There are elements of a band you might hear on the radio, such as Of Monsters and Men, but there are also just folk punk elements and some special ingredient added that I can't put my finger on but it makes this music just so special.

"Good Teeth" can get faster (and it's not the only song that does) and that makes me think of Flogging Molly or Gogol Bordello.   The thing about this album is that it has that undeniable energy, but also isn't afraid to slow down and tell you a story so that you can focus on the lesson.  Often times, I feel like it is difficult to do other things while listening to "Everything Must Go" because it's just so captivating.

Lyrically these songs will draw you in right away, if you're like me.   During "Georgetown 1999" there is a line the first time around that says "I had an older brother back then" but then the second time around says "I was a younger sister back then".   Just the way that those two lines could've been the same but changed and still mean the same thing display the pure brilliance in this song writing.

Going into the second song, "Church Camp", and I think this song is really the one that sold me on playing this album as many times as I have because when I was a pre-teen I used to attend church camp during the summer.  I'm not sure how many people out there can say the same or will make the same connection with this song as I did, but sometimes you just have to find that one thing that clicks and the rest falls into place.

I could pull lyrics out of here and end up quoting nearly the entire album, but I feel like as amazing as these lyrics are, you should focus on the music (both vocals and other instruments) your first few times listening, just to fully take in how special this album is, as it is a musical masterpiece, and then begin focusing on the lyrics more, pulling out lines like: "I can see I'm not the kind of woman to make you want to come back home", which I absolutely love and am not even a woman.

When listening to music for the first time I look for three qualities.  Does this music both feel familiar and yet also new at the same time?  Do these vocals (if they are there) have a distinct sound that can really lure you in?  Are there lyrics which are compelling and could make for a nice poetry book if written out?  If you answer a firm yes to all three of these, then you're listening to "Everything Must Go" because this album is just what every album should be: a true representation of a distinct and honest voice.  


Comments

Popular Posts