Music Review // The Dream Eaters "I AM BLEEDING INTERNALLY"

 


Right away The Dream Eaters come out with this sound that is both playful and upbeat though the lyrics are about bleeding.   This song has those elements of a band such as Neon Trees or Glass Animals where it just feels like keys and a drum machine but those elements of rock are also on the border of pop.

I do enjoy more than I should that the chorus has the lines "And I'm crying on the floor of a Walmart store / I don't even know who I am anymore" because we've all seen some strange events happen inside of Walmart and we always think "What kind of people do that?" until it becomes us.   So, yes, setting this all inside of a Walmart very much feels like the chef's kiss of the song.

During the music video the duo is singing in what looks like a karaoke style as there are dancers on both side.  Neither singer really shows any emotion and I like to think that the red around symbolizes that the song says "Karma will come / and take me out / condemned to eternally / living in hell".   So, if you imagine they are in hell the video makes much more sense.

Look, if you were actually bleeding eternally (and externally as the song says) you wouldn't be singing about it.  But there is something brilliant about this song, in both the musical aspect of it but also that the lyrics are not something you would sing about because you'd be dead.  If this opens up a whole new world to you, a world of The Dream Eaters, then I am also happy that you have found this.  

Comments

Popular Posts