Record Review //
Megafauna
"Ghost Coast"


$20 //
https://megafaunamusic.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-coast //

Big distorted chords tinged with melody ripple through the air.   All too often I forget about artists who sound like this, that old idea of “This reminds me of someone but I can’t quite put my finger on who”.   I’m reminded of going to a college to see Discount, someone shoving a ‘zine in my face because they felt like I had to read it.   I’m reminded of bands like the Rocking Horse Winner, who I really wish made more music.  

“The whole country’s on fire / throw all my records in the trash” is the first line you’ll hear with killer guitar riffs.    The second song has this almost surf fuzzy way about it— it’s melodies but there is this distorted static behind it as well.  I’m reminded of something from the “10 Things I Hate About You” soundtrack.   It’s from that era of the 1990’s but with a modern touch.  

“Mishka” has a ballad feel to it, like dreamy pop or some kind of wave, and then it just kicks in.   Artists from Letters to  Cleo to Tape Waves come to mind, which is important to note not just for their sound but also their era.   

4 opens up with nice percussion and then that SP guitar riff, which the “SP” can stand for Smashing Pumpkins or Silversun Pickups.   It’s trippy but also sounds somewhat familiar.   Definitively dreamy now and then this one part in 5 just soars.  “Mania Beam” just really rocks and then we hit the interlude.  

On “Shadow Beach” there is this big feel, as it’s almost gothic with the drum machines but still dreamy.  Is gothdream a genre?  It feels trippy at times too, like at the beginning of 9.   Those vocals just hit me so hard, but you should never underestimate the guitar or drumming.  There is also this driving feel, but like space, on 9, and then it breaks down between “Dazed and Confused” and “Guardians of the Galaxy”, somewhere like Metric and Slothrust— which I feel like I’ve heard in a lot of other artists before and now will start saying it about Megafauna as well.  

Holy Me Sky is slow, prodding and brings up more of the classic rock vibes.  “I feel your love it’s everywhere” is a great quote from the last song and while you could skate to it as well, I really enjoy the idea behind “Make this a matriarchy”.  I feel like the men have been given long enough of a chance and it’s time to let the women take over things.






Comments

Popular Posts