Music Review // Emily Millard "Hazy Blue"

 




The sound of Emily Millard can be quite heavy in the sense that this album feels like a lot.  Each song on "Hazy Blue" has not only its own story to tell but also its own mood.  This can just make it feel as if you should take your time listening to each song to let them process properly and, ultimately, this is the type of album which should be on a double record because of the weight.  There is a lot to take in here and you must take your time in doing so.

On "Hazy Blue" Emily Millard sets the stage for all that I love about music.  There is some soul to this, some rock, some pop and even dare I say some jazz.  The genre is just there and it can't be explained as well without just listening to it.  "Heat Is Up" has some hypnotic synths to it while also being wavy and dreamy.  "Compass Rose" really reminds me of a cross between Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift ("1989" era) while the titular track also hits upon that "NFR" era of LDR.  I can even hear this Phil Collins-like percussion on "When You Unfold Your Love".

In addition to the music these lyrics just need to be studied.  One song which hit a bit too close to home for me is "No Arms No Mouth".   For a lot of my youth, I used to have these nightmares that I'd have to defend myself in some situation and I couldn't speak- when I needed it most, my voice wasn't there.  This comes out in the lyrics here with: "I move my lips nothing comes out".   While this might not be the case for everyone, for me there is definitely a haunted air about this song and its meaning.

While what you take out of this might not be the same as what I take out of it, there will be a personal connection here for you.   At times "Hazy Blue" makes me think of Demi Lovato and at other times I just marvel at how grand it is.  This very big sound can become almost operatic, while at times it can even be thought of as an orchestra in the woods.  So, press play, be taken aback by the music first and then peel back the layers to expose the lyrics and other experiences Emily Millard will make you feel.  


Comments

Popular Posts