Friday, May 28, 2021

Music Review //
Graham Davy
"Fear"

https://open.spotify.com/album/2NYw6sZPt0JIMV4S7pUKfN //


To me, fear is such a funny thing because at times it's just your body's way of saying that you're doing something you shouldn't be doing.  Fears of heights, for example, is rational because it's your body's way of saying "Hey, why are we up this high? What if we fall?"  But other fears are not always as rational.  I have a lot of social anxiety and so I have what could be considered fear when it comes to something as simple as talking to another person.  I dread making phone calls.  But it's something that I do because it's part of life.

And I think that's the message of this song.  You can't live a life in fear.  You have to do what makes you happy and take those chances because it's better than not doing what you want and living a life of regret.  It's better to tell the story of "I tried to start my own business and it nearly bankrupted me" than "I wish I had tried something like that when I was younger" because you never know what might happen.  Maybe your business will succeed and you'll be able to quit your day job.

Musically "Fear" sounds like The Cranberries or some sort of dreamy rock n roll.  There are guitar strums and it just feels blissed out.  At the same time, the vocals come through with a bit of bass- which plays a contrast to the guitars- and it makes me think of artists like Urge Overkill and Iggy Pop.   Perhaps if Iggy Pop slowed down in his later years and created a shoegaze type of band this is what it might sound like.   I'm just happy more musicians are creating their own sounds, their own voice, and taking those risks.

While people can be afraid of spiders or the dark, having this as a song brings out the idea of how musicians can have stage fright or just that anxiety which comes from having people hear something which you've created.  I'd be terrified to sing in front of someone.  Musicians do it all the time without thought.  So really instead of focusing on all of the things which you might think you're afraid of, you should focus on what you do that overcomes other fears and you'll realize how brave you truly are.   This song helps to highlight that and if you ever need that reassurance I suggest you look to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment