Cassette Review //
spencer dorsey
"October Country"


$5 //
https://spencerdorsey.bandcamp.com/album/october-country //

The story behind this cassette goes as follows: I was targeted an ad on Facebook about a t-shirt for "The Twilight Zone".  I went and browsed around the website called Discount Cemetery and though I did not buy that particular t-shirt I did buy one based upon the movie "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead".   I also happened to find this cassette on Discount Cemetery, and so I figured why not add it to the order because I do love cassettes. 

In a bit of odd humor, after ordering this cassette and t-shirt but while waiting for it to arrive I read an article that they are remaking "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead", which makes me feel certain ways and one of them is that there are certain movies I will never buy shirts for now since I do not wish to see them remade.   (Hey, on the plus side, at least the shirt will bring up knowledge of the original)

Onto Bandcamp, this cassette says that the first pressing was orange, the second pressing was yellow and the third pressing is white but this cassette is purple so what pressing is it I have no idea.  I'm also going with the $5 price tag from Bandcamp because I don't recall how much I paid for this cassette from Discount Cemetery (but I'd imagine it's the same)

Right away, this first song, which is the titular track, reminds me of Dashboard Confessional.   It's big acoustics and vocals, beautiful and soft.   For some reason I thought this was going to be more spooky, closer to rockabilly, you know, something you'd think of hearing when you get that Halloween theme, but this is actually really good.    The lyrics mention wearing masks (for Halloween) which seems appropriate now in 2020, though this was released in 2017.   Every night does really feel like Halloween now (That and I always feel like I'm about to rob a place)

The second song has a bit of a country twang to it, which brings out hints of The Get Up Kids "Walking On A Wire" album and bands from Drive-Thru Records, The Weakerthans and The Wrens.   The lyrics also remind me of a Saves the Day song.    I'm also thinking of Owl City but that might not be completely accurate.    Both of these songs are on Side A, but then on the Bandcamp link there is also a third song called "Catacombs".  I admittedly didn't know what to expect going into this one but I am definitely digging it.










Comments

Popular Posts