Music Review // Rodrigo y Gabriela "Akatsuki"

 


Rodrigo y Gabriela are perhaps one of the biggest creators of instrumental sound that has such a powerful way of speaking that it almost feels like it has more lyrics than songs that do.   This latest single, "Akatsuki", is no exception as the guitars come in- both acoustic and electric- with a fire.   At times this can remind me of a film such as "Desperado" and at other times I am reminded of a film such as "Yojimbo".  There is just this quality of a gunslinger out for revenge but really just out there doing their job.

This music video shows the playing in black and white and I enjoy that it helps to see what all is going on.  Starting with darker, rougher acoustics, there is this rambling/rattling bridge.  The way that both Rodrigo y Gabriela play their instruments is something which should be studied.  There is one moment where the strings are being scraped, as you can see it in the video, but if I hadn't seen it I might have thought it was laughing.  

As the song goes on, so does the intensity increase.  The piano (played so beautifully by Hiromi)  comes in heavier, like a storm, and what felt like three distinct sounds in the beginning somehow becomes one.  This is interesting because the idea behind the term "Akatsuki" is that it is the "dawn" or "daybreak" but also symbolizes darkness becoming light, hope and new beginnings.   Rodrigo y Gabriela have recently moved to Japan and so this makes sense in keeping with the theme of their upcoming album.

Keeping with the idea of the gunslinger, I think the way in which I hear this song and see it playing out as a short film is in that Old West type of movie.  You have to imagine a main character riding into town, finding a struggle they aren't a part of but they become a part of it.  By the end, the problem is resolved and this stranger rides out of town, which is both a new beginning for them and for the town itself.  This song just feels so strong that it isn't just about the individual, but the entire community affected by this new found sense of hope.


Comments

Popular Posts