Music Review // Blank Instrument "Green and Blue"
When "Green and Blue" begins, you can hear these beautiful strings come in. A little bit country, a little bit like Fleetwood Mac, Blank Instrument brings on a sound which just feels pure and as the song goes on you can find the focus for this to also be full of pianos. This is one of those sounds that we might have heard in the 1990's, something along those lines of 10,000 Maniacs as an example, but we don't quite hear enough of it in modern times.
If you've ever been asked, as a child perhaps in school, to draw a globe or just a two dimensional photo of the Earth, you will likely use the two colors in this song- "Green and Blue". While a lot of the Earth can be brown (dirt) we tend to think of it as being green still. In that way, this song does sing about being connected with the Earth, and that is the green from the title of this song. I feel like we also use "green" to be Earth more than "brown" because then we can say to "Go Green" or "Think Green".
The color in this song which can be somewhat tricky is the blue. The lyrics talk about the ocean waves washing up on you, which does imply that, as it would indicate in the drawing of a child, the Earth is made up of land and water. The water is blue, though sometimes we can also think about the sky, but I feel like there is a connection between humans and the water that we just can't fully comprehend because we can't go under the water deep enough.
One of the lyrics I really enjoy in this song simply says: "The sun sinks into my bones / And I am home". This can not only remind us how closely we can feel just being outside in nature (for this reason when I am in grass I prefer to be barefoot) but also make us think that perhaps the third color in this song, should it be there, would be that bright yellow for the sun. Still, Blank Instrument breaks it down to the colors of it all and reminds us of what is important.
Comments
Post a Comment