Movie Review // Asteroid Vixens (2026)
While looking for something to watch one evening, "Asteroid Vixens" was number one on a list on Blood Stream so I immediately put it on, having no clue what I was in store for. This is listed on IMDb as a "comedy" and "sci fi", so if you don't take it too seriously it will likely help when watching it. The two main characters here are a woman who is green and topless the entire time and a flying paper plate with shiny silver streamers coming out of him. These are our aliens and they are what makes this movie go.
The concept of this film then becomes quite interesting. These aliens are out looking for women that they can lead back to their spaceship (or abduct) for purporses of breeding. What's funny is that the aliens have these space lasers with which they zap the human women and a lot of the times there is a lot of zapping going on and the woman just flails around but doesn't seem that phased. The women are also, often times, in minimal clothing and getting zapped in the butt.
What makes this film so brilliant is the way in which it is constructed. The two main aliens are out looking for suitable women and as such a lot of what the viewer sees can feel like short films grouped together to create one larger, more cohesive film. This seems like an ideal way to film a movie because to go out and do a ten or fifteen minute segment of the film just feels easier on an independent film making level. This story could have just been the aliens wandering around Earth trying to find women, but that would have been too much like too many other films.
At one point, the alien who is the paper plate turns into a human and goes onto Earth to try and seduce a woman who is walking alone through an alley, talking on the phone. The human form just looks like a hunched over zombie and he is carrying around a picture frame in front of him to seem more inviting. This scene is just hilarious as paper plate alien can barely walk and really just goes from feeling like a threat to this solo woman to a sympathetic drifter who needs someone's help. I also really enjoy the character Aunt GiGi (portrayed by Pamula) who just seems to pop up while stuck inside of the walls when needed.
Another interesting aspect of this film is that it is credited on IMDb as being both written and directed by Felicity Yeung, who has several other credits, but if you try to do a Google search on said writer/director, not a lot comes up. However if you search for the film itself, as I tend to do to see if there is a physical release with bonus footage, it does appear that this film is actually written and directed by Jared Masters. Why this film comes up under an alias, I am not quite sure. But I do want to find the VHS of it now (it's on eBay)
I like to think of "Asteroid Vixens" as a low budget film with high budget ideas. Does something like the practical effect make up take anything away from this film? No. I get more out of the green alien in this film than I do any of the blue people in "Avatar". But also just the way that this is pieced together to become one theme from many is not something seen enough in films, but it also might not feel as special if it was something everyone was doing.
If you are someone who enjoys a bit of alien sci-fi type of film and are willing to not take them too seriously, then this film is perfect for you. It's a lot of nudity, a lot of comedy and every time I see that spaceship flying around I just can't help but know I made the right decision in choosing to watch this one. "Asteroid Vixens" fills a void somewhere between Ed Wood and Donald Farmer that I never knew needed filling.

Comments
Post a Comment