Music Review // Nevaeh Dyson "I Chose To Go"



On the song "I Chose To Go", Nevaeh Dyson combines the sounds of country with pop to bring out what sounds like certain songs by Sabrina Carpenter.  Paula Cole also comes to mind, as this just sounds lovely and has a way where it feels like a powerful ballad at the same time.   This truly embarks upon the type of sound which you don't hear often enough, so there might not be a lot of influences to refer to here, but at least it does give off a distinct sound because of that.

Lyrically this song is a story that is the opposite of the title.  It's like someone having a song titled "Hurt You" and then the chorus singing "I won't hurt you".   Before the chorus hits for the first time, you'll hear a line which says "I could leave it all but I won't".  This actually made me pay closer attention to the lyrics which came after because the title is about going, but that line implies staying.

The way in which this song drops the title in the chorus but also does so in an opposite way is with the lines: "I don't want to realize I had everything I ever wanted and I chose to go".  This does raise a lot more questions than anything else though, as sometimes you can go, realize what you lost and come back, but what about the times when you can't come back?  Why is it that sometimes we cannot learn these things until we do the opposite of what we should? (Which makes this song title feeling opposite work)

This song has a refreshing way of saying things like not knowing what you have until it's gone or how you don't know they're the good old days until they're over.  One of the biggest things in life, perhaps, that we need to embrace more is just knowing what we have and being satisfied with it.  In many ways we're conditioned to always want more, but once you abandon that wanting and turn to acceptance, you can truly begin to live.  


Comments

Popular Posts