Blu-Ray Review // Lady in White [1988] (Vinegar Syndrome)
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/lady-in-white
Right away I was drawn to this film because it has Lukas Haas in it. I feel like Lukas Haas is to me and my growing up what to others might be Ethan Hawke, even though I do also love Ethan Hawke. I also really love the film "Brick" which Lukas Haas is in and that feels difficult to find to watch these days, but one day I will find it and watch it again.
This is such an interesting film from 1988 because at that time, if I saw this I would've likely had nightmares. The story behind this film is one of those where a town has its own sort of urban legend, of the "Lady in White", but there is more to the story and Lukas Haas, along with his brother, are out to solve it. The twists and turns this story takes are just not for the weak at heart.
While I feel like this is a powerful story for 1988, I feel like it still holds true in 2026. When kids go missing, the town blames a local Black man (and, just as more of a warning than a spoiler, there are white people in here using the n-word) and when this man is cleared of the charges, in a car about to go free, a woman who was the mother of a victim just flat out shoots and kills him. That was something which caught me off guard and would've been even more shocking and dramatic all those years ago.
One of the things I really love about Vinegar Syndrome is that they are not just making these older, hard to find films available and into the public eye in modern times, but they're also restoring them in a lot of ways. This is taken from the original 35mm camera negative and put into 4K UHD, so it is the highest of quality. There is also a director's cut on here, so you can see the film in the way which Frank LaLoggia wanted you to see it.
All of these bonus features give you just about as much to watch as the film itself and there is also a book in here to read essays about the film. This is just such a perfect way to present this film in a physical format and "Lady in White" is also one of these movies where you'll be wondering who did it and what happened right up until the end, which somehow just also makes it all grow much more tense.
I must also note that my love for this film has a large part to do with it being a role for an older Katherine Helmond, who would have been doing this during the same time she was playing Mona on "Who's The Boss". I love Katherine Helmond largely because I love "Soap" and "Who's The Boss", but she just seems like one of those unsung actresses of her time, where she didn't get her flowers, because people don't talk as much about "Soap" today. Let's hope maybe this film will bring more eyes to the wonderful Katherine Helmond as well.












Comments
Post a Comment