Music Review // Ray Henderson "Voice"


The interesting thing about Ray Henderson creating a song called "Voice" is that elements of music such as the guitar, drums, bass etc can sound similar but your voice is really what makes you stand out in music.   Often times too, the voice is the first thing we hear and register in a song.  Ray Henderson definitely has a unique voice and that comes through on this song.

With elements of folk and Americana, this is definitely that singer/song writer feel but as we get towards the end of this song there is more of a musical bridge and it feels complete with triumphant horns.   Lyrics within the song say: "You were calling out my name" and also "But I can't speak", both different sides of the voice- the hearing and speaking parts of it.

As the song goes on, lines like: "You can't hear me" come out as well as "I was old and now I'm feeling young again".  One of my biggest fears in life is needing to tell someone something important- like in an urgent/emergency way- but for some reason I cannot speak and I think this song plays on that a little bit as well.

By the end, you'll have heard the line "My voice is coming back and I need you" which can also just add a layer into this song where maybe you're not able to speak up for yourself but now you've found that courage, you've found your voice again, and so you're ready to have this other person back in your life.  it's remarkable how many different ways one can read into this song but that just makes it something you should be listening to even more.


Comments

Popular Posts