Music Review // Mama B "Puffer Fish"

 


One thing I enjoy about the music of Mama B is that even though it's themed towards being songs for kids, they aren't annoying songs that parents will get tired of hearing over and over.  There is just something about how catchy this song is that gets it stuck in your head, but isn't that what a great pop song does?

I'm not really aware of a lot of different types of fish because I feel the ocean is vast and should be left alone, but I do know what a puffer fish is, as I think most people do.   The way that the puffer fish puffs, as the song says "puff / puff / pufferfish" is what makes it different, but it is also what it is known for-- it's what makes it distinct.   

In that sense, I feel like this song is about celebrating your differences.   There is a line "Nothing like the other fish" and it's true but it's also why I know what a puffer fish is.  Even as adults, we should start embracing that which makes us different because you might see it as a defect but others might see it as your superpower.   I'm not sure why the puffer fish will puff, but if it didn't then I wouldn't know about it.

The visuals in this lyric video will help kids both read and maybe not be so afraid of the ocean and swimming in general.   This is definitely something I would leave playing with a child or a group of children in a daycare type setting.  The beauty within here is not just in the lesson it can teach children but also what we can take from it as adults who are all really still children at heart.  


Comments