Wrestling Review //
Prestige Wrestling
"Roseland"
(IWTV)


CageMatchdotNet Results :::

Official Prestige Wrestling Site :::

As with most of these wrestling events I watch on IWTV, I found out about this one on Twitter- saw a poster for it- and decided to watch it.   I do usually go through the recently added on IWTV though, look at the cards and then add shows to my watchlist, which is at something like twenty events now (and growing!)

This is my first time watching Prestige Wrestling but the commentary is done by Joe Dombrowski and I get his emails so that's cool.    I'm not sure what kind of genre to put Prestige in, as this show seemed to have a little bit of everything for everyone.   That seems to be my default wrestling promotion to watch now, even though I still love certain styles and want to see complete shows in one style.

Originally this show was to open with Puma King vs. Tony Deppen but something happened with travel issues and Tony Deppen was replaced by Alex Zayne.   Here's how/why wrestling is so fun for me.   The event I watched before this was Beyond Wrestling "All Hands On Deck" (right here on IWTV [cheap pop]) which was my first time seeing Alex Zayne.   The event I watched before that one was PWG "Smokey and the Bandido" on Blu-Ray, which had Puma King on it.   So it's one of those small world type of things, but just so great to see wrestlers I've seen on different shows coming together.

One thing I like about Alex Zayne (aside from his in ring style) is that he has the gimmick of being "body by Taco Bell" and some of his moves are named after menu items.  It's the little things which set you apart from others, even if it's as simple as being known as "that Taco Bell guy".

Kikutaro (!!!) took on Ethan HD.   This was my first time seeing Ethan HD and he is not a higher def version of Ethan Page.   But this match was worked where Ethan HD had diarrhea and at one point he shit his pants.   I don't know.   I love Kikutaro but this match was a bit much for me.    I just couldn't get into it and it reminded me of when WWE had Drake Maverick pee his pants.    Some people might not have a problem with it, but it really took me out of the match.

The third match of the evening had Rhyno vs. Bull James which was a great battle of the monsters.   I saw this question posed on a wrestling site about whether or not the era of the big man was over and I think some of these non-WWE wrestling shows have big guys (in terms of size) and they just get overlooked.   This was a great match up until the team of 4 Minute Heat came out and then got destroyed by Rhyno and Bull James.   Imagine Rhyno and Bull James as a tag team?  Why didn't WWE ever think of that?  They're such monsters, so together they'd naturally be unstoppable.

Mance Warner was scheduled to be in a death match against Drexl but he is injured so it was Steve West instead.   This match made me want to watch an entire event of death matches (like Cage of Death) and if you've never seen Drexl before he's quite the character.   I want to say this was my first time seeing Drexl, but there are so many random eight person matches on shows I watch I feel like saying such things might be wrong.    Maybe he was in the multi-person match on that Bizarro Lucha show.   I don't remember. 

This was a good death match but at the end it felt like Steve West hit Drexl with everything he could, didn't get the three count and then one quick move and Drexl somehow won.   Oh well.  It was fun to watch at least.

Alex Zayne returned to be in a seven person match which also had Jaiden (he's the new DJ Z), Tony Deppen, Andrew Everett, Adrian Quest, Mike Santiago and Tyler Bateman-- the perfect mix of names I know and don't know, even if it was a bit crowded.   I think more than four people in a match is too many unless you can do tags or it's special like a battle royal.

In the semi-main event, Orange Cassidy took on Su Yung.   I've actually gone out of my way to watch parts of Impact Wrestling to see Su Yung who is this undead type of character and it's just insane how you would put her up against Orange Cassidy.    I think Orange Cassidy is my favorite current wrestler because of his relaxed in ring style, but I also think it's because he's so unique as a character that when you match him up with someone it's unlike anyone else that person has faced.   So you get this character- like Su Yung- and put them up against a character like Orange Cassidy and it's just crazy good.

During this match, Su Yung sprayed the red mist while Orange Cassidy sprayed the orange juice and this was a similar spot from the Orange Cassidy match against Gangrel, but what can you do?  The part of the match where Su Yung got lost and then kidnapped Orange Cassidy was worth watching for, but yes, bring on more characters such as these and somehow, someone out there says "This would be a great match"  I mean, these are matches I haven't even thought of (or thought were possible) and then when I read it I have to see it.

In the main event Tom Lawlor took on Chris Dickinson.   Tom Lawlor is the Prestige Champion and in this match the title was on the line and it must have been won by knockout or submission.   Chris Dickinson is like Nick Gage in that he is everywhere.   Tom Lawlor apparently gets around as well.   Lawlor won by submission and then after the match Davey Richards came out and turned heel, attack Tom Lawlor and basically saying he was coming for what he never really lost.

Fun Fact About Davey Richards: He has me blocked on Twitter and I don't know why.  (Though how I found out is a whole different story) I can't really say I'm excited to see Davey Richards in a wrestling ring again, but the rest of this show top to bottom was just so solid that you should do yourself the favor of going out of your way to watch this one.   IWTV will give you a free x number of days trial I think or just pay the $10 and watch this show.   I'm looking forward to more from Prestige Wrestling.

Comments

Popular Posts