Music Review //
Nick de la Hoyde
"Devotion"
(Gatcombe Music Pty Ltd)


https://ffm.to/d3votion


Big synths and beats start this song off.  It is difficult to describe how this song sounds exactly as there is very little for me to compare it with.   There is a cinematic element to the music, which makes me think it is being played on the grandest of stages and that makes me think of an artist such as Hozier.  It is certainly pop and it would fit well within similar pop songs on the radio.  I'm just not sure any artist out there has this exact sound or close to it and I really like that about it.  

Even as we get into the chorus, there are these horns which go with the music.  The entire song seems to be telling a story and not just with the words but with the music.  So hearing this all come together and just trying to think about the music without the singing shows how important it all is.   This just feels like the type of song where every last detail had to be absolutely perfect and it shows and is better for it.

The lyrics deal with showing your devotion for someone, that you are committed to them.   There is a line in here I really like that says: "Love is savage but if you have it you've already won"  Isn't it funny how love just seems so impossible sometimes until we actually find it and then it seems somewhat easier.   It also sometimes feels like the less we work at these things the easy they come and that should be a lesson within here as well.

"I'll be falling for the rest of my life" is also an interesting lyric if only because it reminds me that they say you "fall in love" and I just imagine someone actually falling in a blackhole endlessly.   The idea of having that devotion while not being able to feel solid ground beneath your feet might just be me overthinking it all but perhaps while listening to this song you will begin to overthink it as well.  


Comments

Popular Posts