Comic Book Review //
White Widow # 2
by Jamie Tyndall
(Absolute Comics Group)


https://absolutecomics.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/white-widow-2a-digital-edition

So as you may or may not have read from my review of this first issue, I felt a lot of ways about this series but mostly I felt like this was going to be a make or break type of issue for me.   The idea of someone having spider powers just made me feel like this was ripping off Spider-Man and, well, even within the very pages of this issue there is some reference to the fact that there aren't a lot of comic book heroes based on spiders (like that whole "Into the Spiderverse" movie didn't exist)

Look, it doesn't matter whether or not it was done tongue-in-cheek, like, "Have a sense of humor about it, guy" because if you're closely related to some other concept where it could be said you are almost a ripoff of it, you probably shouldn't poke fun at it or mention it and just kind of stay away from it as much as possible, right?  I think I'm right.  I mean, I don't name drop other websites in my reviews.

Aside from that one line in the newest issue, this story just seemed to bother me as it unfolded in this second issue.   First off, there was this one moment where our main character decided to be naked (and drawn almost fully naked) and to me it just felt like nudity for the sake of nudity and without a real purpose which I thought we were better than in 2019 but I guess not.   Whatever moves the plot along (or doesn't)

Then, we have this villain sent to try and defeat White Widow after a bunch of technical facts are laid out during the issue (Which just seemed to overcomplicate things, if you ask me) and so this villain drops an EMP which could do millions (or even billions) of dollars in damage and then... somehow White Widow survives... and takes out this most powerful villain... with a... dropkick... ??  Yes, that really happened.   I had to re-read it a few times to figure it out, but that was a thing that happened.

Now, I'm not saying I won't go to the comic book shop, see the third issue of this and buy it because of the shiny cover, but-- BUT-- I really feel like I gave this one enough of a chance now, after the second issue, and it's just not for me.   Maybe someone out there who is like "Hooray! Almost full comic book nudity!" (And don't get me wrong, I love Vampirella) or just doesn't mind these whacky stories...

I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible, but have you ever watched a "b movie", you know, a bad movie so bad that it is actually good?  Yeah, those exist and I tend to like comic books in a weird and often times seemingly bad way along the same lines.   But, to me, this is like one of those movies that isn't so bad it's good, it's just bad.   And I don't know who exactly this will appeal to, perhaps someone out there, but not me.   This isn't for me.

Comments

Popular Posts