Cassette Review //
101 Notes On Jazz
(Suite 309)


$7 //
Edition of 50 //
https://suite309.bandcamp.com/album/101-notes-on-jazz //

If you've ever listened to jazz on the radio then you will know exactly what this cassette is.   I actually took an Uber to Palmer Field once, for a GHTBL special exhibtion of games, and my driver was playing a Sunday morning smooth jazz brunch program so I gave him an extra tip. 

The thing about this cassette is that it's all the talking (and some of those commercials) but none of the music!   Is there not enough jazz music out there that this couldn't have been put in between some actual jazz?  I would have been much more into that.   I've often wanted to recreate old time radio programs (like "The Shadow") and I feel like this brings us closer to that dream somehow.

On one hand, I think this is supposed to be funny, and I get that it's a parody but I didn't find myself laughing at any of it, which is a shame because it could have easily been a comedy cassette in that way- a truly missed Dr. Demento opportunity.   It's possible though that I'm either listening to this while high and that is hindering my opinion of it but I also might just need a lot more pot.

I don't really listen to podcasts- if I wanted to hear people talk I'd go to work- and this is only 60 tracks according to Bandcamp so that's not even equal 101.    Whacky.










Comments

Popular Posts