Music Review //
Fly The Nest
"Say Hello"

 


https://open.spotify.com/album/77GOKi52BiKcKX9tjE4cN8 //


"Say Hello" is a song in which the chorus reflects upon waiting "just to hear your voice" as they want you to say hello with your telephone call.   It's funny because as a kid and even into my teens I'd be on the phone a lot because it was our primary way of communicating.  But as I got older, I found other ways to communicate with people through text and that just took over and sort of made it so that now I don't like talking on the phone.   So this song has to take me back to when I was a kid and got a phone put into my room to talk to my friends and I was waiting for them to call.

There is also this energy about the song- a nervous anxiety which anyone who has ever waited for a call or text back has ever felt before.   Though this song has that gritty rock n roll vibe to it, complete with a killer guitar solo, the tone of it somehow manages to capture that feeling when you can't sleep and you're just on edge because you're waiting for that response.    It's certainly nice to have that feeling, no matter how fleeting it might be because eventually you get so used to it that it doesn't carry the same level of excitement or you just grow old and jaded like me and send all of your calls to voice mail.

Fly The Nest have also stumbled upon this important piece of history within this song, in a sense, because the way they sing about waiting for the telephone call is much like how movies you might see in the past could have had their plots easily destroyed with the advent of the cell phone.   Technology is great and all, but in a lot of ways it can ruin art because things which maybe The Rolling Stones got to sing about you can't quite hear in the same way now so when a song like this comes along I hear it more like a throwback to the past than a representation of the present.  Though, I do suppose if you enjoy talking on the phone this could be in the present tense for you.

Back in the day when I was talking on the phone more, this might have come to my attention as a song from a new artist on Wind-up Records and it just has that sound about it in a rock sense that too many artists are missing.   Whether you take the lyrical content on the basis of being something you can relate with now or something you might have related with in your past, the fact remains that it should be universal and with the way this song just flat out rocks it should also be played at maximum volume to enjoy.


Comments

Popular Posts